Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Frosty the Christian Allegory

I don't know why I never noticed this before, but last night I was watching Frosty the Snowman with JP. He is obsessed with all those Claymation Christmas movies. Well, I hadn't actually sat and watched it with before, because while he was watching it I got a nice chance to catch up on house and school work, as well as work work.

By the time the movie ended I realized that the story was strangely familiar, but not only because it was my 30th time watching the movie. I realized that Frosty the Snowman was a Christological figure.

Think about it.
  • Frosty is born at Christmas.
  • Frosty gives his life to save Karen.
  • Santa allows the cold wind (Holy Spirit) to come into the greenhouse and Frosty comes back to life.
  • Frosty goes to the North Pole with Santa.
  • Frosty promises to return

Sound familiar? Even a bit like the Incarnation, Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension, and Triumphal Return? Yeah, I thought so too.

I wonder if that was intentional, or accidental. I guess Frosty will have to be banned in schools next.

1 comment:

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

That's food for thought. I never would have thought of Frosty as Christological. Santa taking him back to the North Pole for instance sounds like the Ascencion.
Merry Christmas!