Saturday, March 04, 2006

Getting back on the horse

Every Lent I hear the same thing regarding Lenten sacrifices and even following the Lenten regulation.
"I gave up coffee (or whatever) and then I forgot and had a cup so I have given up on my Lenten sacrifice."
What kind of Catholics does that make us if we give up so easily. Is that our opinion of sin as well? We slipped up, so we won't try anymore. Lenten sacrifices aren't about being perfect. It's about making an effort. If you slip up, get back on the horse.

This year, I have resolved to make more time for meditative prayer. So far, it hasn't been going so well, but I am still working at it. Hopefully, by the end of Lent, I will have a good pattern.

Lenten sacrifices aren't like New Year's resolution. Remember, our sacrifices are our gift to God. Don't rescind the gift because it's too hard.
Christ could have easily decided that suffering and dying on the cross was too hard, but he didn't.

No comments: