Sunday, April 08, 2007

Pope Gets Tired?

I read this paragraph in an Associated Press article on the Pope's Easter Vigil Mass.

Benedict, who turns 80 later this month, appeared to tire by the end of Mass, which lasted more than two hours and capped a busy Holy Week. On Good Friday, Benedict presided over long back-to-back public ceremonies _ an afternoon service and a late-night Way of the Cross procession at the Colosseum to mark Jesus' suffering and death.



Once again the media is looking for a sensational article. They can't focus on what is done at the Easter Vigil or all of Holy Week. They can't even write an article based on the facts without trying to turn it into a sensational article. I imagine the writer's desired headline read, "Elderly Pope Showing His Age" or something similar. I am sure the bland title "Pope Presides Over Easter Vigil Mass" dissapointed her.

Now that I have said that, what is missing? Well, of course Pope Benedict was tired and age doesn't have anything to do with it. By the end of my Easter Vigil Mass, I was tired. It didn't have anything to do with my age, it had to do with working very hard and getting little sleep. Add to that the fact that the Easter Vigil in St. Peter's Square ended after midnight. The lights in the Papal Apartment go off at 10 p.m. Midnight is well after our dear Holy Father's bedtime.

2 comments:

Fr.Dennis said...

I'm a "young priest" (32) who had roughly the same schedule as the Pope and I too was tired. The fact that an 80 year old pontiff can even still do this proves to me the presence of the spirit in the life of this great man.

Thanks for this post.

DominiSumus said...

Fr. Dennis,
I agree with you.