Thursday, August 02, 2007

Defending the Faith

I want to applaud Megan Bailey Gerdes for the letter she wrote to the Kentucky Courier-Journal.

I want to thank you for continuing to print ignorant anti-Catholic letters in The Courier-Journal. It was letters and attitudes like these that set me on the road to conversion to the Catholic faith. Why? For starters, attacks on Catholicism come from many different directions, and are almost always contradictory. The contrasting descriptions of allegedly outrageous Catholic doctrines and practices forced me to seek the straight story in an obvious place: the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the Bible and the writings of the early (pre-Nicaea) church fathers.

To my surprise and indignation, I found that just about everything I thought I "knew" about Catholicism was wrong, distorted or incomplete. I also noticed that the most incorrigible disseminators of false information about Catholicism are so-called "recovering Catholics." I'll leave it to the psychiatrists to explain that one.

Meanwhile, I'd like to encourage the more open-minded of your readers not to rely on Dan Brown, Loraine Boettner and the Associated Press for factual information on the Catholic Christian faith. Go to the original source.

MEGAN BAILEY GERDES

No comments: