Sunday, July 20, 2008

Extreme Makeover: Saint Style

The First Things Blog has an amusing post about what happens when people from foreign countries rely entirely on translation software.

This post is about what happens when journalists rely on spell check or don't have a clue what they are writing about. According to a CBS article, Pope John Paul II beautified Mother Teresa in 2003. Hmm...facelift, tummy tuck? What do you mean it's supposed to say beatified?

I will give the author the benefit of the doubt because Microsoft Word automatically "corrects" words. I had a frustrating experience while writing my lastest philosophy paper. Apparently I "misspelled" many words that Word just had to correct without asking permission. When I reread the paper, it didn't make any sense. It was frustrating to have to go back and correct the corrections.

Now, I know the auto correct feature can be turned off, but I was at the computer lab at school and had forgotted that the feature even existed.

No comments: