Saturday, April 01, 2006

One Year

It is hard to believe that it has been almost one year since Pope John Paul the Great passed away. I don't think I will ever forget the immense sadness that filled me. It felt like I had lost a member of my family and in a very real sense I had. We all did. We are members of the family of God, the Catholic family and the human family.

While I was in Rome I had an immense longing to visit Pope John Paul's tomb but I was unable to find the entrance. Whenever I asked for directions I was always given the strangest directions that I couldn't follow. Very early in the morning we decided to visit St. Peter's Basilica. As we walked to the basilica I prayed, "God, if I am not supposed to visit John Paul's grave it is ok. It's up to you, but I really really want to. Just tell me and I will do whatever you want." Then I lifted my head and there was a sign right in front of me. Yes, a real sign. White paper with black letters taped to a pole. The sign said, "Tomb of Pope John Paul II" with an arrow pointing where to go. The sign hadn't been there before. We followed the sign and people were gathering at the tomb for Mass. It was such a surprise to see that Cardinal Dziwisz was celebrating Mass at the tomb. Then I knew that I was supposed to be at that Mass. To pay my respects to the Pope who helped shape my faith and love for the Church, the only Pope I ever knew at a Mass celebrated by his closest friend was a special blessing. I was honored to be in attendance.
Photo from the Archdiocese of Krakow

No comments: