Friday, December 14, 2007

Things I Learned from St. Thomas Aquinas

Sadly, my semester of studying the Summa Theologiae and the other writings of St. Thomas Aquinas has come to an end. I submitted my term paper yesterday (via e-mail because of the snow storm). I learned many things during this semester, most of which I wasn't expecting.

  1. I can talk about the senses of scripture and the powers of the soul at great length.
  2. I know the difference between the image of God and the likeness of God.
  3. I know much less than I think I know.
  4. I can write a parody article of the Summa Theologiae.
  5. The Holy Spirit tends to provide the inspiration to write intense papers on intense topics at the last minute.
  6. The Trinity is a more difficult concept to understand that I even though it was.
  7. The answer to any theological question can be found in the Summa, no matter how obscure.
  8. Theology isn't about getting it right, it's about helping the Church get it right.
  9. Even the best theologian gets it wrong once in a while.
  10. Sometimes the best answer to a question is "I don't know".

No comments: