Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ascension Thursday


I am in one of the minority of American dioceses where the feast of the Ascension is celebrated today.

I watch the Mass attendance on Holy Days of OBLIGATION fall each year, even among Catholics who attend Mass every Sunday. What has happened to our sense of obligation?

I suspect that it has a lot to do with the obligation being removed when the feasts fall on Saturday or Monday. Having feasts transferred to Sunday hasn't helped either. The Church needs unity.

1 comment:

Brian Michael Page said...

Our holydays still turn out pretty good. There was a 7:00 AM (which I don't play, but Fr. often leads some a cappella singing), and there will be a 7:00 PM tonight, which the choir will sing.

My own musical setting to "God Mounts His Throne" will be sung tonight.

Peace,
BMP