Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Monastery - Part One

I watched the first episode of the new show on TLC called "The Monastery". In this reality series, five men from various backgrounds move into a Benedictine monastery for 40 days.

I had my doubts about it, but it was very good. I think it showed the Benedictines and monastic life in a good way. The Gregorian chant was an added plus.

I was disappointed at some of the monastery guests. At least one of them, Alex, seems to have participated to simply be a dissenter. However, I think his presence accurately portrays so many people who do not understand or value faith. He claims to have gone to see if the monks could convert him, but it seems his intentions were to see if he could chip away at the monks faith.

One of the most beautiful moments was when Brother Rodrigo expressed his love for the Church, God, and the Blessed Virgin. Alex had been asking some very inappropriate questions and basically doing everything he could to ridicule the monks and the Church.

I am looking forward to next week and more of that chant. So far, my only complaint is... Not enough chant!

No comments: