Thursday, March 09, 2006

Money and Pleasure

We live in an age where money and pleasure have taken the place of God.

When I was a teenager, one of my cousins was questioning my lifestyle choices. She thought it was totally insane that I was planning to make ministry my career choice. She complained that I would never become wealthy on a lay-ministers salary. She made her opinions of me very clear through her words and actions. She also ridiculed me for not having a string of boyfriends and spending my nights clubbing. (At the time I didn't have one because I hadn't found anyone I thought was worth the time.) She said I was too particular and because of that I would never get married.

Here we are 10 years later. I am happily married and have been so for almost 6 wonderful years. She is single and still doesn't have a husband, fiance or even a serious relationship. She has just returned to living at home after her third co-habitating relationship has broken up. I have a job that I love. I work approximately 15 hours a week and I earn just enough to pay the bills. She works nearly 12 hours a day and has a ton of money in the bank. Unfortunately, she has no time to enjoy her accumulated wealth nor anyone to enjoy it with. She has also openly admitted to me that she hates her job.

I am not saying that everyone who makes the choices I have will end up happy, nor am I saying that everyone who makes the choices my cousin made will end up alone and unhappy. I am not even saying that most people who make those choices will end up that way. I just thought it was interesting that things turned out the way they did.

No comments: