Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I've been Memed

Thanks to Brian for my first meme.

1. One book that changed your life
The Ratzinger Report changed my life because it marked a turning point in my view of the Church and the Liturgy. I still remember reading the words, "The Church is not our Church, which we could dispose of as we please. She is rather His Church." That chapter resonated with me unlike anything I had read for a long time. I read that chapter (pg 48-49) over and over again for many days. I was a member of the "gap generation" who was taught all the cutsie Catholic catch phrases. You know the ones I mean, "Jesus is our brother" "We are the Church" "It's only a sin if you think it is". All those things drove me wild when I was a kid and I told off many CCD teachers and more than one priest because of them. When I read that chapter, I felt like everything suddenly made sense. I hadn't been a stupid little kid all those years ago...I had been RIGHT!

2. One book that you've read more than once
That would have to be Anne of Green Gables. I loved that book as a child and I don't know why.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island
That would have to be my Portuguese Hymnal. I love singing those songs, both the old and the new. "Queremos Deus, homens ingratos...."

4. One book that made you laugh
Hmmm, that would have to be Bless Me Father by Peter DeRosa. At the time I was reading it, I was working at a parish that the parish in the novel could have very well be modeled after. The priests could have been modeled after the pastor and curate as well. I am sure there are some who would find it offensive, but I still think it is hilarious.

5. One book that made me cry
Angels & Demons. Yeah, I know. @@ I still think some of the characters in the book were superficially modeled after real Church officials.

6. One book you wish had been written
Learn Latin in Three Easy Steps. I am tired of searching for the books I need for an essay or term paper and then finding out that the college library only has them in Latin. :::mental note...take Latin A.S.A.P.:::

7. One book you wish had never been written
Why Believe: Foundations of Catholic Theology by Eileen Flynn. That is a textbook which is full of errors, infidelity to the Magesterium and all around poor theology. I wonder when Eileen Flynn is going to join the Poncho Ladies™

8. One book you're currently reading
The Pope's Army, by Robert Royal. I had to stop reading for a few weeks in order to finish the semester, but I plan on picking it up again on Friday.

9. One book you've been meaning to read
Big Russ and Me, by Tim Russert. Normally it's not a book that would interest me, but I have known Sr. Lucy, who was Tim's 7th grade teacher, for many years and she tells me she is featured in the book.

Now, who to meme? I choose...
Kelly, Fr. Dennis.

6 comments:

Brian Michael Page said...

I was a member of the "gap generation" who was taught all the cutsie Catholic catch phrases. You know the ones I mean, "Jesus is our brother" "We are the Church" "It's only a sin if you think it is". All those things drove me wild when I was a kid and I told off many CCD teachers and more than one priest because of them. When I read that chapter, I felt like everything suddenly made sense. I hadn't been a stupid little kid all those years ago...I had been RIGHT!

Yes, you have been RIGHT! You think the CCD teachers were bad, you should have seen the dang nuns in Catholic schools! I had the PBVM sisters in Central Falls. Two in particular were really bad, and one had a euphamism for EVERYTHING. It was there that in saying the Hail Mary, "The Lord is with THEE" because "The Lord is with YOU". I'm like - "that's not what I was taught".

Much of the music of OCP and GIA infests us with those same thoughts - "We are the church" (Walker); "I myself am the Bread of Life, you and I are the Bread of Life..." (Cooney).

I'm glad you told off the CCD teachers. Gives "Be not afraid" a whole new meaning (in a good way).

Peace,
BMP

DominiSumus said...

I am lucky that as bad as things were, the prayers never changed. The textbooks were horrible, They taught absolutely no doctrine, but we learned all about how to be nice to each other and how much Jesus loves us. Thankfully, the teachers I had weren't on any sort of crusade, they just blindly followed what was in the book.

I remember my first month teaching 2nd grade CCD. I dared to tell the students that :::gasp:::: Jesus was God and then started talking about the Trinity. The students were fascinated and one actually said, "Oh, so that's why Jesus is so important!"
The curate came into my classroom, pulled me out and berated me for teaching a lesson that wasn't in the book. I told him that if these kids were going to recieve first Communion, they need to know that Jesus is more than their brother and their friend. His response was that they wouldn't be able to understand the Trinity. I told him that no one understands the Trinity...that's why it's a MYSTERY! But unlike to many adults, they didn't have any problem believing what they didn't understand. I was livid after that, but I went right back into the classroom and continued my lesson.

Hehehe, you and I are the Bread of Life.... that's a good one. I didn't know I was that powerful. While I do try to be like Jesus, I will never be that much like Jesus.

As for "We are the Church" we are part of the Church, but God also is part of the Church. Actually, He is the majority of the Church. Without God, we are just a bunch of people who get together once a week to eat wafers and sing. Hmmm, not quite the same.

Brian Michael Page said...

I'll let you in on this one - there's one lady on one of our message boards that once said that she herself was the Eucharist.
Click here for what I had to say about that one. ;)

BMP

DominiSumus said...

She thinks she is the Eucharist? I think she listened to "I Am the Bread of Life" too many times.

Where people get these whacky ideas is beyond me.

Brian Michael Page said...

Oh yeah - it's amazing she's not one of them there poncho ladies™ (I tiraded her for her association with Voice of the Faithful, giving her links to stories of their support of women's ordination, etc.)

BMP

DominiSumus said...

Ahhh, she has been reading Eileen Flynn and other like her. Dear heretical Eileen is another VOTF fan. In fact VOTF is so in love with her they invite her to speak at their meetings.

Why Believe? was the book that infuriated me to the point I couldn't contain myself anymore. I was steaming on the plane to Rome and when I was asked, "How do you like your professor?" I said exactly what I thought of a professor who would use Why Believe? as a textbook. That is the same professor who took points off my term paper because my it didn't give a "balanced" view of Pope Benedict's theology. Basically, I didn't attack his views. @@ That is something I will always wear as a badge of honor.

I think Why believe is an interesting title for the book, especially since she gives plenty of reasons why to not believe.

The line said, "When the Church fully understands itself as Sacrament, the ordination of women will be possible".