Monday, August 07, 2006

Worst Liturgical Music Selections

The summer is finally here for me (no classes in August) so I have been out and about enjoying the weather and my wonderful family. My posting will probably be sporadic until September.

This weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about terrible music.

At this current moment I nominate for the worst liturgical music award:

1) "I Myself Am the Bread of Life" (I am not the Bread of Life. I can't even come close. That song, I can't bring myself to call it a hymn, is full of some of the worst Eucharistic theology I have ever seen. The thought of it being played at Mass is painful.)

2) "Lord of Glory" by Tim Manion (Currently my almost 2 yr old's favorite song ever. He found it on a CD in my collection and demands it be played over and over. I think the fact that it is a hit with the toddler set should be proof enough of it's qualifications for this award. I think could be the Communion song for the Cowboy Mass)

Post your nominations in the comment section. Awards will be presented next Monday.

4 comments:

Brian Michael Page said...

I'll agree with your nomination of both songs.

My additions to it:
1) Hail Mary/Gentle Woman - requested often for funerals because the corpse, not Mary, was a "gentle woman", not to mention the "put the organist to sleep" music, and the intent to go into Elvis' "Can't Help Falling..."

Example:
"give us wisdom, give us love...wise man say only fools rush in"

2) All Are Welcome - "A banquet hall on holy ground" - yah! right!
(I could nominate pretty much anything Haugen writes, but AAW takes the cake)

Peace,
BMP

Brian Michael Page said...

Oh I forgot to mention about "Gentle Woman", despite my comparisons to the Elvis tune, CV's own Jason would normally tell you it's more like the "Edmund Fitzgerald". ;)

BMP

DominiSumus said...

I will agree with you in the similarities between "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" and "Can't Help Falling"

It drives me crazy everytime someone requests "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman", then adds, so-and-so really was a gentle woman.

I am laughing here because both "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" and "All Are Welcome" are two of the congregation's favorite songs. :-X

They don't hear them quite as often as they used to anymore.

Brian Michael Page said...

They don't hear them quite as often as they used to anymore.
Excellent!

I still think the main reason I get some of the requests I get for funerals is because I don't use any of it on Sundays.
BMP