Thursday, February 15, 2007

Secular Institutes: Servitium Christi

The Secular Institute I will profile this week is Servitium Christi.

Servitum Christi is related to Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament. The order of priests was founded in 1856 by St. Peter Julian Eymard and the order of contemplative, but non cloistered, sisters was founded in 1858. The secular institute was founded in Holland in 1952. They were approved as a secular institute of diocesan right in 1963.

Membership in the institute is limited to women. Their purpose is to live the mystery of the Eucharist fully as consecrated lay persons and to make known its meaning so that the glory of God may be revealed to the world.

I will admit to you that I am not all that impressed by what I have found on the website for the order of priests, but I realize that looks can be deceiving. I fully admit that I know nothing about any of these groups other than what I have read their website.

I was not able to find much information on Servitium Christi in the United States, but I was able to find European and Australian websites.

No comments: